These are the symbols I use when proofreading your paper.
- Frag = This is a sentence fragment, not a complete sentence.
- Run-on = Two sentences are incorrectly jammed into one. Use a period or semicolon to separate them or some kind of connector (FANBOYS, etc.) to combine them.
- WW = It looks like you used the wrong word.
- __ (a single letter underlined) = Capitalize or un-capitalize the letter.
- Ital = This should be in italics.
- Ⓢ = What's your source for this point? It needs a citation.
- ◯ (something circled) = You should be able to figure out what's wrong.
- Ⓧ or X = This is factually incorrect. Check your source to make sure it's not an opinion piece.
- TS = Missing topic sentence
Of course, you may ask me to clarify anything I marked on your paper. I'm hoping to have time during class to go over them with you, but you're also welcome to come in during Seminar.