These are the symbols I use when proofreading your paper.
- Frag = This is a sentence fragment, not a complete sentence.
- Run-on = Two sentences are incorrectly jammed into one. Use a period or semicolon to separate them or some kind of connector (FANBOYS, etc.) to combine them.
- WW = It looks like you used the wrong word.
- __ (a single letter underlined) = Capitalize or un-capitalize the letter.
- Ital = This should be in italics.
- Ⓢ = What's your source for this point? It needs a citation.
- ◯ (something circled) = You should be able to figure out what's wrong.
- Ⓧ or X = This is factually incorrect. Check your source to make sure it's not an opinion piece.
- TS = Missing topic sentence
Of course, you may ask me to clarify anything I marked on your paper. I'm hoping to have time during class to go over them with you, but you're also welcome to come in during 2nd block, 5th block, or Seminar.